Re: Converting GCC to compilation with C++

Dave Korn wrote:

I just think people should be able to download and build the sources to
get a native compiler on any hosted system, without there being a
requirement beyond what the system comes with out-of-the-box.

Well we lost this long ago, many systems have no C compiler at all out-of-the-box.

If the
manufacturer doesn't supply a binary distro, and gcc can't be built on the
native system's tools, then it's a barrier to entry if the whole thing has
to be cross-built on some other system altogether that already has native
gcc available.  Maybe not a huge one, but I'm in favour of making it as easy
as possible for people to get to grips with the whole concept of open source
in that way.

How many people in the category of people trying to "get to grips with
the whole contept of open source" are in the category of people trying to port the GNU C compiler to new architectures? Not many I would guess.