Re: Policy for wrong-code bugs

Joe Buck wrote:

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:10:02PM +0200, Volker Reichelt wrote:

Hi,

our current policy with bug reports is:

Close a PR, if the bug
a) is not a regression, and
b) is fixed on mainline.

IMHO this is not a good idea in the case of wrong-code bugs:
I think we should close them, only if they are fixed on mainline *and*
all open release branches (or if explicitly marked as WON'T FIX on those
branches).

An intermediate policy would be to close them when a compiler that fixes the bug is actually released to the public.

In any case, it would be nice to be able to track wrong-code bugs that
exist in current, shipping compilers.

I think that Volker's proposal makes sense in the abstract, but will be confusing in practice. People are still using really old compilers -- we have a customer where we are still supporting GCC 2.8.1, for example. Keeping PRs open for all current, shipping compilers means never closing any PR ever. I think using "closed" to mean "a fix is available somewhere" is useful; for example, it means that you can perhaps backport the change to some older compiler.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC