profiling

Hello,

I am trying to explore the gcc 's profiling support.It
is has great support for instrumenting application
with profiling code.

It is quiet useful for me.  but it uses profil()/
settimer functionality to generate the time signal in
native gcc.

I am afraid profil() or settimer functional support is
not there for the targets without any OS sitting on
it.
How does the profiling works on other embedded targets
in gcc world?

I have global counter unit on the hardware. If i use
this in prologue and epilogue of function . I can get
the time spend in the function.

Can I make a use of this to replace profil()
functionality ? I want to  replace native calls mcount
and monstartup
with my code which will using hardware timer. Can I
get implement flat profile/call graph profile

Any pointers regarding this would be useful.

-regards,
ita

Yahoo! India Careers: Over 50,000 jobs online
Go to: http://yahoo.naukri.com/