Re: Ada & JGNAT

Matthias Benkmann wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:41:35 -0700 Jim Wilson <wilson@specifixinc.com>
wrote:

rms has expressed concerns to the GCC SC about java byte code support. He is concerned that it could be used to subvert the GPL. A proprietary

compiler could emit java byte codes for instance, and then feed it into gcc to avoid linking with gcc code.

Is this discussion archived somewhere? I'd like to understand this issue
and what you're saying makes no sense to me.

I think the confusion is that the concern is with taking java byte code
as input, whereas the discussion in the context of JGNAT is about generating JBC as output.

By the way, so people know, the status of JGNAT is that we have kept
the sources updated to the minimal extent that they compile, but we
no longer support this product and it was never fully completed. This
means that the sources in their current state are probably quite far
from being usable.

MSB