Re: UPDATE: Does not exist error during libjava compile in gcc

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 08:04:09AM -0600, Terry L Moore wrote:
> Took another look this morning.  I found that using:
>
>  grep -v "^#" /export/home/gnu/gcc-3.4.0/libjava/libtool-version
>
> gave the correct output, "5:0:0" ever time.  But the syntax from the Makefile:
>
>  grep -v '^#' /export/home/gnu/gcc-3.4.0/libjava/libtool-version
>
> would only give the correct output after a successful run of the first line.
> Otherwise, it would never come back.  Looking at truss, it was waiting on an
> input from STDIN.  A control-d would cause it to end, never having looked at the
> file.  The file, /export/home/gnu/gcc-3.4.0/libjava/libtool-version, does exist,
> and is read successfully by the first example above.  I will be altering the
> Makefile and trying again.  But this seems to be a bug somewhere.
>     Am I missing something?

Enh.  Here's my guess.

If there's a quoting problem somewhere, the shell could end up seeing
the # too early, treating the rest of the line as a comment.  You'd be
running

    grep -v ^

which, as there is no filename, would read from stdin.  (And print nothing,
as nothing can /not/ match the start of a line somewhere.)

GNU Make has some extended debugging switches, similar to "set -x" for
the Bourne shell.  Being a GNU program, the switches are deliberately not
documented in the man page, nor are they listed in --help output.

Phil

--
Behind everything some further thing is found, forever; thus the tree behind
the bird, stone beneath soil, the sun behind Urth.  Behind our efforts, let