Re: GCC 3.4.1 RC1 available

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:18:12 -0700
Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> The first release candidate for GCC 3.4.1 is available here:
>
>   ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/prerelease-3.4.1-20040625/

I have been chasing what I think is a rather elusive optimiser bug
in gcc-3.4 and if it is a bug it is still present in this snapshot.

The problem is in one test case of the test suite of a library which
I am the author of. The test suite works with gcc versions 2.95 through
to 3.3, but on gcc-3.4 and later one particular test case.

I am in the process of boiling this down to small chunk of code. At
the moment the problem seems to be in one file containing 3 functions;
one with external linkage, one with static linkage and one declared
as static inline.

I have been pointed to this web page:

   http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.4/changes.html

and I find that using the -fno-unit-at-a-time switch fixes the problem.

Looking at the above page my code doesn't really fit the picture. It
doesn't have and unreferenced static variables or functions and does
not use any asm apart from the inlined asm statements from math.h.
However, if I make the static function have external linkage, the
problem disappears.

I will work on reducing the size of the test case today and post
a link to it within 24 hours.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam@mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"OS X is great that way.  I put a copy of OS X on my coffee table,
and it hasn't been hacked yet. Yes, I am using it as a server. I
serve several meals on it every week." -- Anthony Minkoff