Re: Licensing of libgcc and libstdc++ as shared libraries

On Jun 21, 2004, at 11:05 AM, Dave Korn wrote:
I'd very strongly recommend against it, since really there's no ambiguity
in the language at all: static linking is covered by the exception, dynamic
linking isn't.

I think this was a small oversight in migrating to shared libraries. I think it should just be `fixed' in the exception clause. Someone would have to propose that to the SC, the SC would have to sign off on the concept and then someone would have to ask the FSF for their blessing.

The reasoning is simple, the exception exists so that people can use gcc in the real world and not be obligated into the various requirements of the GPL. That was `broken' when non-gcc bearing systems use gcc to compile applications. That is a regression. The fix is obvious.

We can note that on gcc bearing systems, libgcc.so is already present, and on those OSes, the OS vendor already provides the source to the library, thus relieving application providers from having to worry about the issue.

I think this can be summed up as a corner case of dll hell.