Re: Why does casting a function generate a run-time abort?

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:43:41PM -0700, Ziemowit Laski wrote:
> A front-end deciding on an address of a method?  Doesn't the linker
> usually do this? :-)

No, not usually.  Usually the front end figures out how
to load the address from a vtable or suchlike.

> Of course, the original cast _was_ standard-conforming...

The cast yes, but not the actual call.

> In the future, if/when you implement your METHOD_EXPR doomsday
> machine, I'll happily take a look at it, but right now we really need
> to reduce the ObjC code bloat we're seeing with gcc 3.5.

Sigh.  I was hoping to prevent you from running down a rat hole
and (for once) get things done right in the ObjC front end the
first time round.

Look, we need something like METHOD_EXPR in order to perform
devirtualization in C++ anyway.  Don't do anything for a week
and let me see what I can come up with.

r~