Loop optimizer / unroller

I'm confused about the current state of the loop optimizer(s) and
unroller(s).  Looking at the lno branch I see in passes.c calls to
rest_of_handle_loop_optimize which calls loop_optimize and suggests
to handle unrolling by -funroll-loops.  Passes.c also calls
rest_of_handle_loop2 which seems to exclusively deal with
unrolling/peeling.  Then of course we have tree-ssa-loop-* in lno
(which cannot do unrolling/peeling at the moment?).

Where is this all going?  I suppose we're going to drop
rest_of_handle_loop_optimize together with loop.[ch] and unroll.c (is
those what is reffered to as old unroller and old loop optimizer?).
There is loop-iv/invariant.c which tells it's RTL based - is this the
"new" loop optimizer?

Do we agree to remove traces of old loop optimizer / unroller for 3.5?
At least it looks like we're doing both at the moment with
-floop-optimize?

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard dot guenther at uni-tuebingen dot de>