Re: Objective-C++

> On Jun 14, 2004, at 8:31 AM, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> > Objective-C++ will not be considered when making releases.  The state
> > of Objective-C++ will be irrelevant when deciding whether or not to
> > make a release.  However, the SC hopes that Apple will provide
> > resources to ensure that Objective-C++ stays in reasonable shape.
> > Furthermore, nobody will be required to test Objective-C++ as part of
> > the check-in cycle, and people who cause defects in Objective-C++ will
> > not necessarily be required to fix them, although good manners
> > dictates that people will help clean up their own mess where
> > practical.  The default configuration for GCC should not include
> > Objective-C++; a user who wants Objective-C++ should explicitly use
> > --enable-languages.
> >
> > The rationale for this compromise position is that the SC feels that,
> > on the one hand, it would be unfair to turn away Apple's contribution.
> >  On the other, the SC is concerned about possible maintenance issues.
> > The approach outlined above allows Apple to contribute Objective-C++,
> > but also reflects the expectation that Apple will be largely
> > responsible for the maintenance of Objective-C++.
>
>    This is an understandable position, but I have a question for Zem and
> other maintainers.  I'm interested in using ObjC++ on additional
> platforms (mainly on Darwin).  Is Apple going to write their patches to
> avoid Darwin-specific requirements?  Will there be a test suite checked
> in as part of ObjC++ to help others verify ObjC++ on other platforms?
> Are any other folks planning on helping in getting ObjC++ working on
> other platforms?  I'm particularly interested in MinGW and GNU/Linux,
> so I may try to help with those (for what little my help is worth :)

I think the only issue whcih right now prevents Objective-C++ being
used on the GNU Objective-C runtime is the headers not being C++
safe, this is on my todo list and will see if I can fix it this weekend
and then ask Zem if I can merge the changes for libobjc into the
branch.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski
libobjc maintainer