Re: What is needed to support uclinux shared libraries on MMU-lessARM?

John Lee wrote:
Hi, all
I have searched for the information about uclinux Shared lib for MMU-less ARM, and found that the arm tools do not
support shared libraries.
I would like to know how to modify the kernel/tools to
support shared libraries.Or what is needed to support uclinux
shared libraries on MMU-less ARM?

For the GCC bits, you may look into the m68k backend. See what's done with the -mid-shared-library option.

It's basically PIC code plus an inefficient way to
call functions through a fancy variant of the
GOT/PLT trick.

Most of the magic is in the linker, or better, in a
shell script disguised as the linker that invokes
the elf2flt tool.

Does the MMU-less ARM use the flat executable format
or real ELF?

The most authoritative people on the subject are
the SnapGear people who did all this for the ColdFire.
Try searching the uClinux mailing-list archives and
you'll find all the questions I made several months ago.
These were answered in detail by Paul Dale and David
McCullough, the two SnapGear engineers who developed
shared libraries support for the ColdFire.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/