Re: Criteria for GCC 4.0

Steven Bosscher <stevenb@suse.de> writes:

>> It follows logically from the position that a 4.0 version number would
>> only be justified by actions we would never take.
>
> As usual, you are only looking at things from a C/C++ centric
> point of view.  From that POV you are right.  From many others
> you are not.

Huh?  "Major version number bumps are only justified by changes we
would never actually make" is not a C/C++ centric position.  I do not
think we have done anything that would justify a 4.0 version number,
*either* considering only C and C++, or considering all languages.

With specific regard to Fortran, yeah, we're now providing a Fortran
95 compiler, but we *are* providing backward compatibility with
Fortran 77.  We may not have implemented all of it yet, but we do
consider failure to compile unregenerate F77 code a bug.  If we were
refusing to compile people's grotty old F77 code, that would justify
4.0 -- and that would be just as much of a change we should never
make, as dropping the C compiler.

Someone downthread said that if the major version number never
changes, then it's redundant; that's not true.  It is there for
emergencies.  Sometimes you have no other choice than to do something
that breaks the world.  Now is not one of those times.  2.95->3.0 was,
but only because of earlier mistakes.

zw