Re: Omniscient Debugging for C...

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Bil Lewis wrote:

> I've written a new kind of debugger -- it records state changes
> and allows the programmer to essentially "go backwards in time."

Cf. <http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9901.2/0531.html>:

#  I have enough information available in the proxy ptrace filter to
#  implement PTRACE_SINGLESTEP_BACKWARDS. How would you like to have that
#  capability in gdb? "Execute backwards until this data watchpoint
#  changes." Imagine a graphical debugger with a scrollbar for time,
#  where the top is "beginning of execution" and the bottom is "end of
#  execution."

(very specific to Linux 1.3.42, and with other limitations).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm@polyomino.org.uk