successful build of gcc on Interix 3.5 (windows XP)

Built on Interix 3.5 running in Windows XP with PIII processor and 256Mb
RAM.

output from config.guess:  i586-pc-interix3

(from gcc -v)
Reading specs from ./../lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-interix3/3.3/specs
Configured with:  : (reconfigured)  : (reconfigured)
/dev/fs/C/gnu2.intel/egcs.source//configure --verbose --prefix=/opt/gcc.3.3
--disable-shared --with-stabs --enable-nls --with-local-prefix=/opt/gcc.3.3
--with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld
--enable-targets=i586-pc-interix3 --enable-threads=posix
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3

This build is the "core", for C/C++ and assembler only

To get this to build on Interix, I had to update 'grep' and 'make' using
source files from gnu.org .  Once both 'grep' and 'make' had been updated,
everything worked as it should.  Prior to this, unusual errors kept
happening.

The 'host-target specific' page does NOT include information for this
target.  I recommend including the above comments within such an entry, in
some form, possibly with instructions on how to update these utilities (in
my case, they were built from the '/usr/local/src' tree and were installed
automatically to '/usr/local/bin', which is what I would normally expect to
happen for 'local' versions of a system utility.  I then renamed the
originals to 'oldgrep' and 'oldmake' from within the '/bin' directory.  Also
'grep' had some trouble building at first because its config.guess script
was 'too old' and didn't recognize interix properly, but I 'fixed' the
script myself and got it to work.  I probably could have used the one from
gcc, but I didn't try that.  I was also not able to download the latest
config.guess because it hasn't been "validated" yet).

I have not yet fully tested this with the test suite, but may do so at a
later time.  Right now I see no reason why it would not work properly.  I
intend to add cross-compilers for ELF, Linux, and PalmOS (68k).  If this
fails to work I will let you know.

Bob Frazier, SFT Inc.