Re: Trouble with rsync-access

espie@quatramaran.ens.fr (Marc Espie) writes:

> It's very hard to use more resources than cvs.  cvs has never been
> designed to handle client/server gracefully. It's not in their design
> spec.
>
> Rsync is a bit disk-intensive, since it needs to access all files. Not
> more disk-intensive than cvs, mind you, unless you use cvs to acces a
> small part of the repository.

I want to note here that we are running with some special patches to
CVS, which I wrote, which make the common case of 'cvs update' to the
trunk quite a bit faster.  In that case, our CVS, on the server, does
not need to open a file which is up to date on the client.  This leads
to visible speed-ups for the client, and less load on the server.

But of course rsync is fine too.

Ian