Re: Criteria for GCC 4.0

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 12:58, Joe Buck wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 04:03:50AM -0400, Phil Edwards wrote:
> > The recurring 3.5-vs-4.0 thing is sure to come up, so I thought I'd
> > generate some discussion by providing my opinion, and talking points,
> > on why we don't have 4.0 material yet.
> >
> >     http://www.jaj.com/space/phil/40.html
>
> You quote me but you might be confused about my position.  I said that
> using 4.0 vs 3.5 is basically marketing, but that does NOT mean I was
> arguing against 4.0.
>
> Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to Ottawa.  If I had my
> "druthers", it would be 4.0, and possibly we'd slip the schedule to help
> make sure that we get the quality up enough to make a real splash.
Another possibility would be to do a gcc-3.95 release as a preview
of what to expect in GCC 4.  That would give us more time to hash
through more of the performance issues and time for the Ada folks to
get things working again.

If we choose that direction, then I might recommend that the tree-ssa
bits be considered slushy -- ie, work continues on tree-ssa, but
focused on continuing to clean up rough edges, and improve performance
(compile-time, memory consumption and runtime).

jeff