Re: Little C-benchmarks of gcc-XXX: Compilation timings of make foreach GCC's version.

jc-nospam@jr-pizarro.jazztel.es wrote:
I did continue since yesterday with the same options/flags & architecture ...

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-06/msg00045.html

and i'd added the -O3 option (even if it was not very important).

I've done quite a few GCC benchmarks over the years, and debate the value of comparing against GCC 2.95, especially in terms of generated code performance.

GCC 2.95 simply isn't an option for anyone writing C99 or C++ or (soon) Fortran 95. The 3.x series compilers offer features not found in earlier compilers; while I won't dispute that GCC 2.95 may have compiled faster or produced speedier code for traditional C, we also need to recognize that the current compilers offer many advantages in terms of language support and error reporting.

-- Scott Robert Ladd Coyote Gulch Productions (http://www.coyotegulch.com) Software Invention for High-Performance Computing