Re: Installing GCC and other packages on Linux

Please notice that this list is devoted to discuss the development *of* GCC, so it's not the right place to ask. If you have other questions you can write me at positron@gnu.org instead of using this address.

Justin Lundeen wrote:
Dear GCC Development Team,
I am having a lot of difficulty following the installation instructions with GCC, and with every other Linux package I download off of GNU.org.

Please use the term "GNU/Linux" when you refer to the whole operating system (see http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html); "Linux" is the name of the kernel, which is only a part, although important, of the operating system.
The GNU Project only distributes software as source code. For executing or installing a program from source code you must first translate it into machine code (also called "binary" code) using a compiler, such as GCC; if you need more information about this see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_code . When you have learnt the basics compiling a program becomes really quite simple, but GCC is particular in this sense: to compile GCC from the source code you first need a compiler, and this compiler must be *in machine code* to be executed on your machine.
If you're a beginner I suggest you to start installing *binary* packages from your distribution CDs (and this is *essential* at least for GCC and binutils). You will be able to use the source code later, when you become a little more expert; don't be scared, it doesn't take very long.

What program do I run to enter cd? Terminal? I've tried that and I've even got so far as to get into the directories, but when I wanted to get into the directory where the config, makefile, and install files were at, it said invalid directory.

It's right to use a terminal program (I suppose you are using KDE or Gnome) and cd, but I guess you haven't decompressed the archive. The right command for decompressing would be tar xvfz gcc-VERSION.tar.gz (or tar xvfj gcc-VERSION.tar.bz2 if you downloaded the bz2-compressed version); however by now I suggest you to just install binary packages: they're called RPMs in your distribution.

I would really appreciate detailed instructions (as detailed as you can get without taking up a lot of your time) to installing GCC and other applications.

As the first thing you need a tutorial. The one I used is now aging, so I wouldn't advise it to you. I found this one referring to your distribution; give it a try:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/pdf/rhl-gsg-en-9.pdf
(also this manual falls in the common mistake of using "Linux" as the name of the whole operating system, but it doesn't seem bad otherwise).
After you master the graphic programs of your distribution start learning the command line, and read the documentation.

Write me if you have more problems.
And if nobody has greeted you yet, welcome to free software community. I hope you're here to stay.

--
Luca Saiu, maintainer of GNU epsilon
http://www.gnu.org/software/epsilon