RE: [m68k] asm regression with 3.3/3.4/3.5

  Hmm.  I think two orthogonal concepts are colliding here.

  'Forcing a value into a certain register at a particular time' isn't quite
the same thing as 'Ensuring a (hard asm register) variable is never spilled
during its lifetime'.

  My reading of the documentation quoted above is that although gcc will
assign a particular hard reg to a variable when that variable is live,
there's no promise that it won't be spilled and reloaded at unpredictable
moments, in between which the value won't be in the register any more and
gcc might reallocate that register (temporarily) for other purposes.

  OTOH the problem of getting a value forced into the right register in an
inline asm is one which I think can indeed most easily be solved by having
specialized constraint letters for individual registers and leaving reload
to take care of the details.

  Note that it's not quite as bad as Peter and Gabriel suggest (elsewhere in
this thread), since there probably isn't a need to allow every single
register to be specified.  Frex, with the Amiga ABI (case in hand), you'd
only need constraint letters to specify d0, d1, a0, a1 and a6, I think.

    cheers,
      DaveK