Re: [m68k] asm regression with 3.3/3.4/3.5

Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> writes:

> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 12:13:17PM -0400, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> > In the asm statement, you said that the input _bn could be in any
> > register.  You didn't say that it had to be in A6.
>
> Actually, he did -- he passed a hard register varible a6 to the asm.
> GCC is supposed to *not* cse hard register variables from asms
> specifically for this case -- making syscalls.

Hmmm, this case is not documented as far as I can see--in the docs I
don't see any special interaction between asm and local register
variables.  And it doesn't appear to work.

> No, the likely problem here is that a6 is the frame pointer, and
> screwy things happen when you try to use it for other things.

He said that on his system, the frame pointer is A5.

I can recreate the problem using A4.  It doesn't have anything to do
with the frame pointer.

Ian