Re: MS/CW-style inline assembly for GCC

Matt Austern wrote:

If you can come up with an assembly syntax that's genuinely better than CW's, and if we can convincingly tell our developers that it's better, then we really will consider telling our developers they should convert their code.

Oh, throwing down the guantlet! :-)

I'm in Palm Springs next week, I'll see if anything springs to mind -- but I don't really expect to do better that CW. I do understand why people like that more than GCC's syntax.

To do CW-syntax (in an ideal) world, you'd want the assembler integrated into the compiler. It would then parse the assembly code, emitting actual RTL insns into the instruction stream. Right? (That, presumably, is how CW actually inserts code in and amongst these assembly instructions; it just puts them into the instruction stream and then happily schedules them along with everything else.) Whereas Apple's current implementation produces one big asm string for GCC, annoated with constraints obtained by parsing the assembly code a bit. Right?

I'm trying to make sure I fully understand what's going on here. :-)

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC