Re: Compilation performance comparison of 3.5.0 and TreeSSA treeson MICO sources as requested in: [tree-ssa] Merge status 2004-05-03

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 21:08, Richard Kenner wrote:
>     The gimplification process tends to create extremely bloated RTL.
>
> Why?  I would expect it to produce exactly the same RTL as that produced
> before tree-ssa if no optimization is done.

Mostly because of the breaking down of expressions into small trees,
which are friendlier to the RTL expanders.  That's the reason we have a
tree recombination pass at the end of tree optimization.

Of course, most of the bloat comes when you don't allow the tree
optimizers to run.

Diego.