Re: MS/CW-style inline assembly for GCC

Stan Shebs wrote:

One of the long-notorious features of GCC has been its inline assembly
extension for C-dialect languages.  The extension is both logical and
powerful, giving programmers a high degree of control over how the
assembly instructions are to be integrated and optimized within the
instruction stream, for instance by using the compiler's own
constraint letters to express preferred locations for data.

I agree that the use of this facility in GCC is very difficult due to the lack of appropriate documentation at an appropriate semantic level (you can't tell C++ and Ada programmers that they have to dig into internals of GCC :-)

However, I am dubious about fixing it by adding a complete new
facility, instead it would be good to provide the missing documentation.