This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Successful Build/Install of GCC 3.3.2 on Solaris 10 SPARC
- From: Jim Wilson <wilson at specifixinc dot com>
- To: kris dot kulasekera at mci dot com
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 16:19:15 -0700
- Subject: Re: Successful Build/Install of GCC 3.3.2 on Solaris 10 SPARC
- References: <200405030702.i4372tF32734@duckula.ozemail.com.au>
Kris Kulasekera wrote:
* Didn't use binutils-2.11.2 as this caused GNU ld collect2 errors.
binutils-2.11.2 is ancient, about 3 and a half years old. It is
unlikely to work with current gcc sources. It is usually best to use
the latest binutils release. 2.14 is the current release, 2.15 will
appear sometime soon.
I know the docs mention binutils-2.11.2, but this is perpetual
documention problem. Some people find it helpful to mention a known
working version in the docs to avoid bug reports using older binutils
versions. Then several years later the docs still refer to that same
version even though it no longer works with current sources, because no
one ever thought to update the docs. I think we would be better off
just recommending use of the current binutils version, without
specifying a specific version number.
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.SpecifixInc.com