Re: x86 code generation question

Vadim Lobanov <vadim@cs.washington.edu> writes:

> Ah, okay. So essentially it is done this way to maintain generality and
> architecture-independence of the code that translates syntax trees into
> RTL.

Generality?  Architecture-independence?  snicker ... guffaw
... BWAHAHAHA!

It's more like "that code was written about a decade before processors
with conditional move existed, with no design, and no one has ever
dared to rewrite it."

But you are still correct - if someone *did* overhaul that code (which
might even happen one of these years, what with tree-ssa (potentially)
making its job so much easier) they probably wouldn't implement
conditional move.

It should be noted that the code generated by gcc at -O0 is very very
bad in general.  This might change in the future, but for the time
being, we basically aren't interested in reports that the code
generated at -O0 is lame.  -O1 or -O2, that's a different story.

zw