Re: HP/Compaq Tru64 linker semantics

Jim Wilson <wilson@specifixinc.com> writes:

> Karl Vogel wrote:
> > I was wondering what the general opinion is.. follow GNU ld as close as
> > possible? Or follow the standard way of the platform?!
>
> I would suggest that we should follow what the platform does.  People
> porting to Tru64 will expect gcc to work the same way as the native
> compiler, and if it doesn't, then packages with builtin Tru64
> assumptions may fail.

Fully agreed, even though this case of local vs. vendor supplied libdb has
bitten me as well.  Even though this default (searching for all shared
libraries before the static ones) is highly unusual on Unix systems, we
should follow the vendor here so GCC users don't get another surprise when
using GCC.

One caveat, though: currently one cannot pass -oldstyle_liblookup through
collect2 to ld, which is quite tedious.  This has been reported already

	http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/1999-09n/msg00912.html

and there's a PR for this, other/1963, but it is unfixed an has been
(erroneously, I think) been closed as a duplicate of PR other/5762.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University