Re: minor gcc2->gcc3 migration nit

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Richard Kenner wrote:

> It's not that simple.  If we say that you have to use the "appropriate"
> program instead of "gcc" for linking language X and a different one for
> linking language Y, what happens if you have a program that uses *both*
> languages X and Y?  Both can't get their way.

That's the point of Zack's proposal on the beginners' projects list that
collect2 should be able to identify the runtime support libraries required
by a program.  Users of multi-language programs at present need to know
the names of all the libraries the various languages need in a particular
GCC version, but they shouldn't need to know such internal details; they
should be hidden behind the single "gcc" driver.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm@polyomino.org.uk