Re: GCC 4.0 vs. 3.5

On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 04:19, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> I continue to believe that major version number increments should only
> happen when backward compatibility is deliberately broken, and not in
> a way that users have been acclimatized to, e.g. the continual
> revision of the C++ abi doesn't count.

I don't buy this, I consider changing version number is just
basic honesty towards our users, even if we do the maximum we
cannot properly test everything and we'll need our
users proactive help and indulgence on this.

Bumping the major version number is a good way to send a positive
signal here IMHO.

Laurent