Running Gcov on a target, embedded platform

I just heard about the GNU coverage tool, gcov. We are using the
GNU gcc cross compiler for ARM, and running eCos on our embedded system.
Is there any way to compile and get the coverage statistics when running on a non-native platform
like this? I see that the first thing required is to compile with certain
options turned on (-fprofile-arcs and -ftest-coverage), and then according
to the documentation, this enables the program to write some statistics
to files (normally on the native Linux system where the program will later
be run) that gcov will then parse. It seems as if there was a way to have this information
sent to the gdb stubs mechanism and communicated to the gdb debug port,
then, for an embedded system, this information could be continuously sent back
to the host and then run gcov on the host after the fact.
I've never run any coverage tools before, just looking into this, and so far
I haven't found anything that will work for our system.

Thanks!