Re: RFC: Removing --enable-win32-registry?

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 09:59:20PM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:
>Perhaps the Ada folks were the only ones that ever used it.  They used
>it for the windows installer.  You could try asking them if they still
>need any of it.
>
>Well I added it originally since I did the original InstallShield
>(Windows installer) for GCC/GNAT.  At the time I thought it was a good
>idea.  I still think it's a good idea, but others (who are more
>involved in Windows than I am) aren't convinced.
>
>That's why I've stayed silent on this issue so far.

I should apologize for my previous disparaging comment about this code.
I just took another look and it is a perfectly reasonable way to
implement its goal.

Cygwin doesn't use this mechanism as it is somewhat counter to the
project's goals of looking as much like UNIX as possible.  So, I still
vote against it, but not because of any stylistic concerns.

As far as being useful for an InstallShield like installer, I don't
think it goes far enough to do that for today's installers.  I think it
probably should be adding a couple more standard keys to be fully
compliant.

cgf