Re: Removing "brik" from release script

Mark Mitchell wrote:

> I think that it's time to remove the generation of the "brik" files
> from the release script.  These checksum files aren't really necessary
> at a time where (a) communication links are generally error-free, and
> (b) we're generating md5sum files for the release tarballs.  The use
> of "brik" is just one more thing to complicate the release generation.
>
> I'll remove the use of "brik" after the 3.4.0 release unless people
> object.

I'd vote for keeping "brik".

If you have a slow connection, it's easier to download the diffs instead
of the full tarball. After applying the diff, "brik" can guarantee that
everything went alright.
You can't do that with the md5sum of the whole tar file, because you'll
never be able to generate exact the same tar file as the in the FSF
repository from your local one (the order of the files might differ,
time stamps might vary etc.)

Regards,
Volker