Re: GCC Status Report (2004-04-05)

Mark Mitchell wrote:
GCC 3.4
=======

I believe that we are not at the point of diminishing marginal
returns.  There is still a code-gen problem on PA that Zack and/or I
may look at, but I think that we have gone about as far as we should
go for 3.4.0.

Therefore, I plan to roll the prerelease tonight.

If you have an outstanding patch which I have already approved for 3.4.0, please check it in now. Other than that, the 3.4.0 branch is now fully frozen to any and all commits.

The actual release will follow in a week or so, assuming all goes
well.

Thanks to Eric and Jakub for working hard on the aliasing issues this
past week!  And to everyone else who fixed bugs!

I just checked the 3.4 branch wrt POOMA again, and viola, got another miscompilation compared to g++ (GCC) 3.4.0 20040331 (prerelease).
src/Particles/tests/bctest3.cpp is miscompiled with -O2 and passes with -O on ia32-linux. It's again some sort of Heisenbug (commenting out unrelated code before the failure makes the test pass), as were previous ones that just disappeared and as are the ones filed against 3.3. So I suspect there is some weird bug somewhere at least both in 3.3 and 3.4.

No, I don't expect this to be fixed until release as I myself don't have time to extensively track this down (not that it helped much in previous cases). Oh well. If only we had a simple way to kill all unused sourcecode in a testcase to begin with...

Thanks for all your work on gcc 3.4,

Richard.