GCC on AMD64?

I have run into slight problems using GCC to develop operating systems code
for an AMD64 environment.  The problem results from not having the
appropriate code model for the architecture.  I am attempting to use more
than the first or last two gigs of address space.  This of course, does not
work.  I was inquiring as to when the large model will be supported, or
another model with specific support for AMD64.  It would be nice to use more
than 4 Gigs of address space if you have it.  And perhaps I have missed a
special build of gcc or something, or maybe one is coming out soon?

Thanks,

Nicolas Smallwood
nick@os-soft.com