Re: GCC-3.3.4 release status report

bangerth@ices.utexas.edu said:
> I personally think that it is not a huge problem if we don't fix every
> single  PR in 3.3.4 given that 3.4.0 is close. In fact, I find it a
> nuisance to have  to look at all the PRs targeted for 3.3.x if I want
> to find out what needs to  be done for 3.4. We should be more willing
> to retire PRs if they are already  fixed in 3.4.

I, actually, believe that the reverse is true. Despite all the effort
that have been made to make 3.4 as robust and good as possible, this
release contains several improvements that have not been exposed to
the wild yet. The better (more strict) C++ parser is certainly
something that will make people encounter problems with 3.4.0, and I
bet several regression will still be found after 3.4.0 is out (a lot
of people out there also believe that the .0 releases are not for the
mainstream).

Thus, in my opinion, a good 3.3.x is needed at least till 3.4 has got
some much broader testing. Thus, the need to correct as much bug as
possible on 3.3 (while keeping it as stable as possible). And I have
no reasons to complain about the stability of 3.3 so far.

	Theo.

Theodore Papadopoulo
Email: Theodore.Papadopoulo@sophia.inria.fr Tel: (33) 04 92 38 76 01