Re: regclass.c: scan_one_insn special casing

On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 13:44, Richard Kenner wrote:
>     That appears to do something a port specific splitter would do.
>
> Sure, but it's better to do something in *machine-independent* code if
> you can.

Then why bother having define_split?

>     Any thoughts? I also have a patch to just remove it.
>
> Why?
>
> "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

There's just something wrong with special casing all over the compiler
just for a small case that could/should be handled somewhere else. There
seem to be a lot of this "special casing" for things that should be done
somewhere else and help maintainability. And hell, if we don't have to
do those 7 if checks we would improve the speed of the compiler - in a
small way at least. If we remove 10 such cases we've probably started in
on a large such improvement.

-eric

--
Eric Christopher <echristo@redhat.com>