Re: Request for bugzilla submitters/maintainers: "Reportad against"field

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Joe Buck wrote:

> The "Reported against:" field in Bugzilla is less useful than it could be;
> it frequently seems to hold some random value.  For example, someone
> reports a bug against 3.3.3, notices that it is also in the trunk, and
> puts "3.5.0" in "Reported against:".  This makes it harder to do release
> notes later, because I don't want release notes to contain mentions of
> bugs that never existed in any released GCC (the release notes say what's
> fixed as compared to former GCC releases).
By way of explanation of the purpose of "Reported Against"

Reported against was originally "Version", which makes no sense in the
face of known to work/known to fail.

Thus, it simply became a way to determine what version of gcc the bug was
reported against, as opposed to what versions it exists in.
In fact, unless the submitter chose the wrong version, i'm not sure it
should ever be changed during the life of the bug.