Re: Building collect2 for C?

[Zack Weinberg, being "excessively cranky"]
> It was only platform-dependent because you insist on using an
> obsolete platform. I am tempted to put DJGPP and MPW on the
> obsoletions list for 3.5 just to eliminate this nonsense
> objection.

[DJ Delorie]
> There were 314 downloads from my ftp server just yesterday (I
> don't have records for the mirror sites).  I'd hardly call
> that obsolete. There would probably be more except my T1 is
> at full capacity.
> That would be petty of you, and I would object quite
> strongly.  DJGPP has been a supported platform since GCC
> 1.35.  We have 3.3.3 in the official distribution and 3.4 in
> alpha test.

Now, obsoleting DJGPP is probably a bad idea, but of those 314 downloads per
day, how many do you think were from confused people who don't know what
they want?  As far as I can tell, MinGW /supersedes/ DJGPP on Windows,
especially on NT-based Windows like XP.

I myself started out using DJGPP (on 98SE) until I found that it doesn't
play nicely with XP, and then I moved to MinGW and never looked back (once I
figured out the Win32 calls to print colored text).

DOS is dead, and 9x is dying.

Stephan T. Lavavej