Re: GCC viciously beaten by ICC in trig test!

Scott Robert Ladd <coyote@coyotegulch.com> writes:

> Perhaps GCC could provide a clean ISO C library that is enabled with
> the -std=c99 switch? After all, GCC does include an ISO C++ library,
> and a Fortran 95 library (in tree-ssa).

My opinion of this notion is summed up by this excerpt of a message I
posted to a private news hierarchy back near the end of 2003.

=====
| I can't work out whether you're of the opinion that a deeply
| incestuous relationship between a C compiler project and a C
| library project is a good thing or a bad thing.

[...]
In the abstract, I think that *if* the "C language runtime" part of a
C library were disentangled from the "low-level operating system
interface" part, the "useful but nonstandard utility routines" part,
and the "shared object loader" part, then it would be good to have a
close relationship between the language runtime project and the
compiler project.  The other projects, however, ought to be prohibited
from communicating with the language runtime and compiler teams except
via standards committees.  (They don't have to be formal and
ISO-recognized or anything; an IETFish process would be fine.)

This, however, will never happen (disentanglement would require
redesigning the entire C library and bits of the language), and so I
am in favor of generally distant relations between compiler and
library teams.
=====

zw