Re: 3.5 Snapshots (Again)

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>>The last time this issue was raised by Kelly Cook nothing happened, so
>>I'm raising this yet again: can we please start having 3.5 snapshots?
>

> First we need some infrastructure changes to get the diffs right,
> that's the major blocker right now.

If you mean the diffs from the last 3.4 snapshot
to the newly generated 3.5 snapshot so that
people with current snapshots can transition
easily, yes I agree. But then, I think these diffs
are going to be pretty big anyway and it might be
better to avoid them altogether and just download
the whole snapshot once more (and continue
with diffs in subsequent weeks).

> I'll try to work on that tonight.

Thank you.

>>The policy should be to publish snapshots from the current development
>>tree (mainline) and the current release tree - as I said before, I don't
>>think there are hordes of hackers just waiting for their weekly 3.3
>>snapshots at this point.
>

> Snapshots are not just used by hacker, but also by the FreeBSD system
> and probably other as well.  And there are quite few hackers which do
> not have CVS access.  In fact, it is hardly possible to contribute code
> to GCC with only snapshot access, as one cannot do proper testing.

I didn't know about the FreeBSD part...

I am one of those hackers who do not have CVS access,
mainly because of bandwidth problems (dial-up is quite
unreliable here and "broadband" is expensive and
unnecessarily restrictive).

I tend to test and submit patches, if any, close
to the release of the snapshots to avoid being too
out of sync with CVS. In any case, my changes are
mostly to GCJ which doesn't violently change every
week. :-)

Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew          Email: rmathew AT hotmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.      Web: http://ranjitmathew.tripod.com/