Re: Lazy allocation of DECL_ASSEMBLER_NAME

Chris Lattner wrote:

Mark Mitchell wrote:

There are lots of things that are hard about inter-module analysis, as
you of course know. :-) It's an inherent design problem: we're
essentially trying to combine multiple C translation units into a single
C translation unit, and C is not a language that permits that. Most
object file formats are designed to support C, so we see these problems
at that level too.

Just to be clear, this is not a problem with IMA, this is a problem with
doing it at the source level.

I completely agree. In GCC, the current IMA stuff is sort-of halfway in-between. The representation we use is basically at the source level, but, as Geoff mentions, we don't quite fully squish everything together into one translation unit. So, it's pretty similar to C, but if there were a source language for this representation, it would also have some kind of "module" construct.

> This comes up all of the time in real-world programs. zlib and 300.twolf

I know! :-) I used to write tools that found the mismatches, and they are pretty common.

-- Mark Mitchell

CodeSourcery, LLC
(916) 791-8304
mark@codesourcery.com