Re: gcc and compiling speed

Theo de Raadt <deraadt@cvs.openbsd.org> writes:

>> (I assumed you're not suggesting they download the entire BSD
>> kernel)
>
> We don't believe it is restricted to just our kernel.  And we've never
> really talked about kernel compile speed, instead we measure "make
> build" time, that meaning the compilation of the full system --
> kernel, bootblocks, all the libraries, everything.  It is a giant
> source tree.
>
> A 40% slowdown from just changing compilers ... how do you explain
> that?  I explain it by saying the compiler builds the entire system
> 40% slower.
>
> More than that, we think everything compiles slower, on all
> architectures.  There is some variance; some systems slow down more
> than others.

Just give us as a start a single file that the current GCC compiles so
much slower together with the numbers.  Since we do not have access to
OpenBSD, we need that file self contained, meaning preprocessed with
headers.  Others have explained how to do that.

Then file a bug report in bugzilla and answer to this email telling us
what bugzilla number it is.

The same procedure has been done by other folks where they saw a slow
compiler and they have taken the worst example and GCC developers have
started tuning.  But without even *one* single example test case,
there's nothing we can do...

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, aj@suse.de, http://www.suse.de/~aj
  SuSE Linux AG, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany