Re: "Documentation by paper"

Richard Kenner wrote:

The @param and @return and whatnot are not intended for humans

But humans will be reading them. Every time they look at the sources.

Then use a folding text editor. /** is a clear marker to begin folding.

I would *certainly* dispute that fact. It's far *worse* than "nothing".
What we desperately need is well-written high-level documentation of
methods and algorithms and how everything fits together.  Finding ways
of automatically extracting low-level details from code and calling
it "high-level documentation" *detracts* from that effort.

We're talking past each other.

I certainly never called it that.  I certainly don't dispute the need for
writing down what you're asking for.  But we also need useful API catalogs:

http://www.jaj.com/space/phil/gccdoxy/struct___unwind___context.html

and cross-references:

http://www.jaj.com/space/phil/gccdoxy/unwind-dw2-fde-glibc_8c__incl.png

and trying to do those by hand is just monstrously stupid.