Re: "Documentation by paper"

    Paper documentation is nice as well, but the way to get both, and to
    keep the code and documentation consistent, is to use doxygen-style
    comments and use that to generate the documentation.

Agreed.  I have no problems with having a *second* copy, as long as the
primary one is in the file and "doxygen-style" does't clutter up the
source and make it harder to read the comments.

I don't know anything about the annotations, but if it were a tradeoff
between making the source slightly less clean to get a secondary documention,
I'd vote *against* the secondary documention since it isn't nearly as
useful as a easy-to-read documentation in the source.