Re: ChangeLog as cvs check-in message

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 04:59:56PM +0000, Joern Rennecke wrote:

> I suppose it is best to automate the ChangeLog reading and pruning so you
> don't forget the crucial pruning step.

Even better:  don't prune in the first place.  Add to it instead.

0)  determine list of files to check in
1)  create skeleton changelog entry (date, name, email, filenames from (0))
2)  edit entry in a scratch file
3)  concatenate scratch file and ChqngeLog to form new ChangeLog
4)  add ChangeLog to list of files from (0)
5)  cvs ci -F scratch_file list_of_files_from_(0)

are the basic steps I use, where everything but (2) and maybe (0)
is automated.  (Plus confirmation/undoing, etc, in the obvious places.)

The script I use evolved from an unrelated project and has not aged well, but
feel free to adapt it:  http://www.devphil.com/~pme/stuff.html

--
I am asking you a *serious question* about
the location, and current status, of your pants!