Re: "Documentation by paper"

    Perhaps the documentation doesn't have to be in the file, but there
    has to be some texinfo documentation for it ?

No, I think it has to be in the file.  That's the most logical place for it
and the only place that has any hope of being maintained as the file changes.

    If we had this describing every file in gccint it would be sooo nice !

Most file do have internal documentation saying what they are doing.