gcc compilation speed

On Jan 19, 2004, at 3:53 PM, Mark Hahn wrote:

I think we can both agree that all is in the balance between code quality
improvement and compilation speed degradation.

the problem is that this discussion is being dominated by the sqeaky wheel
phenomenon. who's likley to complain about compiler speed? people who
somehow can't afford a beefy machine, and yet want to use gigantic UI
frameworks or breathtaking template tricks.

GCC still works VERY well for traditional Unix-style code, even on small
machines, even with sane use of C++.

I wouldn't say that. Apple's customers don't think that gcc's compilation speed is adequate, and I can't say I blame them. We've made some pretty good progress over the last couple of years, but we've still got a way to go.

My main concern, actually, is that 3.5 may be worse.  It may not
be fair to talk about performance measurements this early, when
tree-SSA hasn't even been merged into mainline, but so far it
looks like it may be making things slower, even at low
optimization levels.  I don't think we have a very clear idea
yet of what's causing the slowdown; one disturbing possibility
is that it might be because we're carrying around twice as much
intermediate representation.

--Matt