Re: [RFC] Contributing tree-ssa to mainline

    If we are to wait for all the possible optimizations (vectorization,
    memory hierarchy, loop transformations, etc) to be contributed, we may
    have to wait quite a bit longer than if we included the infrastructure
    in mainline.

My threshold wouldn't be "all possible optimizations", but enough of
them to show that the new infrastructure not only is going to meet its
expectations but that it isn't going to need to continue to evolve in
major ways.

To me, merely saying that "this is obviously a better approach since
it's more modern and is what the textbooks show" would be a *disadvantage*
of the approach.  We need to see evidence that this approach really is better.

    By its very nature, mainline attracts quite a bit more development than
    an obscure branch.

I don't think anybody would call tree-ssa an "obscure branch".