Re: Help with changing snapshot mechanism

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> The branch-creation checklist says:
>
>   Update maintainer-scripts/gcc_release on the mainline, where it says
>   "# For now snapshots come from the mainline.", to make snapshots
>   come from the branch instead.
>
> That comment no longer appears in the gcc_release script.  Does anyone
> know what should be done to switch snapshots to the GCC 3.4 branch?

Gerald did the work to support snapshots from both mainline and branches
simultaneously, but it may not have been finished since that documentation
wasn't updated and there are some un-checked-in changes in
~gccadmin/scripts/.

Changing the crontab (in CVS, in ~gccadmin/scripts/ and in the installed
crontab for gccadmin) where it reads "-s 3.4:HEAD" to read "-s
3.4:gcc-3_4-branch" will do the part of causing branch snapshots.  I think
they should even get diffs smoothly generated from the last mainline 3.4
snapshot.  (Stopping 3.3 snapshots is a separate matter for when that
branch is closed; there should be no intrinsic problem with having three
sets of snapshots going as long as whoever deletes old snapshots to keep
down disk space usage does so more frequently.)  But mainline 3.5
snapshots should also be started up, and the first of them should have
diffs from 3.4-20040114, and I don't know what the correct mechanism for
arranging these diffs (from a different version number) is, but it should
go in the branching checklist.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm@polyomino.org.uk