--with-libs busted?

In updating my toolchain build script to use --with-sysroot,
I had the idea to always install glibc into the sysroot whether
or not the gcc supported sysroot, and for the older gcc's,
use --with-libs and --with-headers to point to the appropriate
directories inside the sys-root.  Since the libraries in the sys-root
are split between /lib and /usr/lib, I tried using the multiple
directories feature of --with-libs.  Sadly, it appears to be broken;
gcc does indeed copy all the directories you list, but it then barfs
because it thinks the second and later directories are extra target
specifiers; I get the errors
configure: warning: /opt/blah/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/sys-root/usr/lib: invalid host type
configure: error: can only configure for one host and one target at a time

Has anyone ever successfully used that feature?

I guess this is a good sign that I really shouldn't be using --with-libs even on
gcc's that don't support --with-sysroot.
- Dan