Re: gcc 3.5 integration branch proposal

On Tuesday, January 13, 2004, at 05:35 PM, Joe Buck wrote:
On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 03:29:12PM -0800, Mike Stump wrote:
Along these lines, I'd like to see C++ about 4x faster.  I'd be happy
with 2x faster[1], anything less, well, isn't interesting.  I'd like
for the SC to find and appoint such a person to tackle speed problems.

Want the job? :-)

I'd happy to volunteer... I'd be happy to have others do so as well, I'd be happy to have a couple of people listed...

It's not like there is a paid position available.

My position isn't that of Tom Lord, :-) but, what they are in a position to do is to find someone that will volunteer to be the maintainer for compilation speed for C++. Part of that is to ensure that the compiler doesn't regress, part of that is to encourage others to consider compilation speed issues before it regresses, and the largest part would be rolling up the sleeves and doing the work. By appoint, I merely meant bless to be the listed maintainer for such an issue. I think we need more than just a few random people donating a few random patches to be able to approach a 4x speedup.

Let us know if such a position is to be created at this time, and who's on the hook for it...